Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Kitchen Upgrade!

A while back, I did a blog post about our kitchen & the major makeover it got.  You can find that post here!  I am still loving how our kitchen came together!  It was a lot of work, but yet again, so worth it!  I love the colors on the wall (a gray Behr paint from Home Depot) and the cabinets have held up well so far!  Those were also painted with Behr paint from Home Depot.

I also showed you some chairs that I had painted, which I still love as well!  They're such a fun pop of color & really bring a nice accent to the kitchen.

This winter we finally found a good deal (well, again I should say Ed did!) on a microwave to go above the range.  We had been looking for quite some time, as we really wanted to free up the counter space.
Plus, the hood above the stove just was not pretty at all!!  I probably could have found some spray paint or something to cover it, but it just was time for it to go :)
Before

Here are some pictures of the process of getting that bad boy hung up!!

 No, my cupboards were not that dirty that we had to stop what we were doing to "clean" them out :)  I didn't take any pictures in the process, but we ended up having to drill holes through the cupboards to get the cord to the new microwave through.  We tried many other solutions, but this was the best option.  So, needless to say, we had wood chips & sawdust everywhere :D  I guess that just comes with the territory! 


 It took a while, but eventually we made it through, without hitting the metal bracket on the inside :)


 Oops, scratched up the wall a bit too!  I'd rather have that then hire someone else to come & do all of our projects!  Thank you Lord for a husband who is so good at this kind of stuff!
 We also had to cut into one of the shelves to make room for the cord.....
 So since it was out of the cupboard, I added some contact paper to help make it feel a bit cleaner!
Looks good, huh?!
 Thank you, mom for the fun towel!!
Some day this will get a facelift as well .....

And this guy too....

Linking to the following:

The DIY Dreamer

Savvy Southern Style
Someday Crafts
Elizabeth & Co
Adorned From Above
Lil Luna
Not Done Growing

Lamberts Lately

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
Common Ground
30 Handmade Days
Redoux

Rooted In Thyme
The Shabby Nest  
 French Country Cottage
Create Craft Love 
Finding Fabulous 

Craft-O-Maniac
Keeping It Simple
Making the World Cuter
The Dedicated House
C.R.A.F.T.
Skip To My Lou
A Blossoming Life 
TwelveOEight 
Huckleberry Love

Between Naps on the Porch 
SugarBee Crafts
Not Just a Housewife
Funky PolkaDot Giraffe

34 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Gorgeous! You did a great job...don't you love it?! I love revampings like this around the house. I put stained glass in my kitchen ceiling as a sky light and it looks wonderful. My window treatment now are Hunter Douglas shades you can wash. Enjoy it!
FABBY

Michelle said...

The microwave looks great there what a good use of space. Its always good to get the appliances off the benchtop free up some space for you. My new kitchen is getting installed today and I can see myself doing exactly the same with the vacuum cleaning it all out before I can unpack everything! Already there is dust everywhere. Ugggh!

Elaine @ Sunny Simple Life said...

It never ends around here as well. I guess unless you buy a new home, that is how it goes. On the other hand it looks great. So nice to have a handy husband. Great job.

the cape on the corner said...

looks great so far! I love that new microwave...we are slowly upgrading our appliances to stainless.

Holly McDonald said...

Great Job! I love the grey too. Thank you for spreading JOY and sharing at the Oh What a HAPPY Day party.

Holly at Not Done Growing

Ashley Chapman said...

Hi I am stopping by your blog from the Adorned From Above Wednesday Blog Hop. I would very much love it if you would stop by ours as well. We also have a great giveaway running with a winner to be announced in 8 days. Come on by and join up. We will also have a blog hop Friday.

Blog: www.ashleychapmandesigns.com/blog

Thanks so much!
Ashley

Cindy said...

I'm hopping over from Lambert's Lately. I had to check you out because I just shared my black and white kitchen cabinets. I like the gray and white too! I'll admit, I have the cottage cheese ceilings too.. ack!
Cheers! Cindy @ sunsetcoasting.blogspot.com

Ruth Soukup said...

It is looking great! I love that you waited for a great deal and then DIYed the install! Thanks for linking up again this week!

Jenna LaFevor said...

Gorgeous!!! Looking great! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Kelly @ A Swell Place to Dwell said...

Your kitchen looks great! we have one of those junky range hoods in our kitchen too and I'd love to replace it with a microwave!

Carrie from Carrie This Home said...

Your kitchen looks great! We just painted our cabinets white--it was a huge project but totally worth the results! I'm stopping by from Create It Thursday (my post is #11 How to put son lyrics over a photo). Have a great weekend!

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

What a great update! Love your kitchen!

Jan said...

Hi, visiting from The Shabby Nest Frugal Friday. What a chore to install the microwave above the stove, but it looks fabulous there. How nice to have a husband who knows how to do that sort of thing and just jumps in and does it. Awesome! I was just looking at the area above my stove. I had my handyman (no husband) install a new exhaust fan/light a few months back and it looks good -- nothing like your microwave, of course! Is there still a fan venting cooking steam and odors to the outside? After reading your post I an sitting here eyeing up my area above the stove. Alas, I've got a soffit above my cabinets and in order to fit a microwave above my stove the existing cabinets there now would have to be shortened a great deal. An expensive proposition, most likely. So, my microwave continues to sit on the counter next to the fridge. Fortunately I have enough counterspace to prepare meals so it's okay. Your white cabinets are great looking and I love the contrast with the grey paint. The 1970's style light fixture - wow! Yeah, those three round globes have to go. But I actually like the track lights you showed, I think they're cool looking and their silvery color goes perfectly in your kitchen. I'll be interested to see what you do in terms of replacing the kitchen light fixture. I want to replace my ceiling fan/light, but I have NO idea what I want to do so I'm paralyzed and haven't done a thing! I think my problem is that there are too many choices :)

Julie said...

Oh I so so LOVE your kitchen! The white cabinets are fabulous and it is so open and roomy!

Julie @ This Gal Cooks

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thank you! Oh, I bet the skylight is fun to have!! Thanks for stopping by :D

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

That's so fun that you're getting a new kitchen! I hope it turns out great :D Yes, the vacuum cleaner is a must! Thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Isn't that the truth? Just one project after another - but I love it!! I never thought I would have so much fun making our house a home and doing our own projects! Thanks for stopping by & have a blessed day :D

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thank you! I am really liking having the extra space! I highly recommend getting the glass cleaning cloth from Norwex for your ss appliances! Works great for me :D
Thanks for stopping by!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thanks, Holly!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thanks, Ashley for stopping by! I'll check yours out :D
Blessings!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thanks, Cindy for stopping by! Oh no, not the cottage cheese ceilings!!! Some day I'd like to take it down, but that seems like way too much work right now ;D Have a blessed day!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thanks, Ruth!! Yes, I love to bargain shop & save money :D
Have a blessed day,
Nicole

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thank you, Jenna!!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thanks, Kelly! It was so worth doing - I highly recommend it if you can :D
Blessings!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thanks, Carrie! What kind of paint did you use? Yes, lots & lots of work, but oh so fun to have them done! :D

Selene @ Restoration Beauty said...

Gorgeous kitchen! Love your new microwave!
Selene @ Restoration Beauty

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Hey Jan! Thank you! There's just the fan that came on the microwave, but no other venting system. I hear you, too many choices make it hard to make a decision sometimes! Good luck with the changes you plan to make to your kitchen as well!! Email me if you need some idea's :D
Thanks for stopping by!
Blessings,
Nicole

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thank you, Selene! It's so nice to have it off the counter & to free up some space :D

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thanks, Julie! I love it too :D The white made a huge difference in the room, that's for sure!
Blessings!

Michelle Muse said...

Looks great! I just painted my oak cabinets white~ I love it!

Jessica said...

Wow, I'm in love with your kitchen!!! I love the white cabinets, the wall color, and the beautiful wood flooring! Thanks for posting, it's great inspiration :)

obaid said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thank you! Isn't it fun to be able to change the look a room with some paint?!

Coley's Crafting Corner said...

Thank you, Jessica! It was a lot of fun to do :D
Blessings to you!