Thursday, August 9, 2012

Artist Call!

Ele from A Bit of Heaven is hosting an artist call each month & I was one of the artists chosen for August!  I was so excited to receive my package of goodies a couple weeks ago & couldn't wait to get working!  The items that were sent are, well, Heavenly!  The guest supplier for this artist call was from an Etsy shop owner at http://www.etsy.com/shop/memoryartbylisa.  Her stuff was just adorable - be sure to check it out! 
Here are the items that she supplied:
Such fun details in each of these items!  I'm guessing they were all made by hand by Lisa - what talent she's got!!

Isn't the little tag with the bird on it cute?!  And it goes especially great with the nest...

I just love the colors in the paper & thought they were a great pairing together!  Combine it all together & it's perfect!

And here's the progression of my creation:
Mod Podge - one of my essentials :D

I got a board from JoAnn fabric (used a coupon for half off, thank you!) and decided to paint the edges black - hoping it would make the blues & greens in the paper & the decor just pop!

This is a bit blurry, but trying to show how I apply the Mod Podge - I try to do half at a time - put a thick layer on the board & then line up the paper as best I can & lay it down slowly, moving from right to left.  I just learned a trick to use a credit card to smooth it out - I'll try it on my next project, that's for sure!! 

After you finish the bottom coat & have all of the bubbles out, put several layers on top as well to seal it in place.  It also adds a fun finish to the piece of art!

Playing around with some layouts...... 
The finished product!!

Close up looks...

Again, I love how the nest turned out!



I wasn't quite sure how I wanted to incorporate the green & white string.  In the end I decided to tie little bows & put them in the top corners of the board.  I used a tacky glue to secure all of the embellishments in place, including the string.

12 comments:

Donna Wilkes said...

Love your mixed media piece. Beautiful balance of both color and texture. Love the nest detail. Lucky, lucky girl to receive such a creative group of items!

Distressed Donna Down Home

Deidre said...

This is awesome! I love the colors and the detail as well SUPER job!Im following you:)

Donata @ DK's Craft Cafe said...

This is just beautiful!

Erin said...

Awesome!! love it!

Colejo32 said...

Thank you, Donna for your kind encouragement! Yes, I was quite lucky to get these items to work with & create something fun :D

Colejo32 said...

Thank you, Deidre! It was so much fun to do! Happy to have a new follower as I embark on this blogging journey :D

Colejo32 said...

Thank you! Have a fabulous day!

Colejo32 said...

Thank you!!

Candace Jedrowicz said...

This is so beautiful! Perfectly lovely!
Popped in from Craft-O-Maniac's Monday Blog Party

Colejo32 said...

Thank you, Candace! I finally decided what to do with it :D There is a silent auction/benefit for my cousin who is dealing with Thyroid cancer, so I'm going to donate it to that :) Thank you for stopping by!!

joyce said...

So So cute it's beautiful the nest is my favorite part!!

Colejo32 said...

Thanks, Joyce! Yeah, I thought that was adorable as well :D Thanks for commenting - have a great day!