Thursday, May 3, 2012

DIY Chair Re-do Tutorial

After giving our kitchen a MAJOR makeover, I've been wondering what to do with the chairs at our little table.  They had been painted white, but were needing an update & just didn't look quite right with all of the other stuff that had been re-done.  Our cabinets are in between an off white & a cream color, so the white chairs didn't match all that well.  I thought about painting them the same color as the cabinets, but I wasn't sure if they'd just blend right in.  The walls are gray, so I had contemplated using the gray, but again, I wondered if they would get lost into the walls.  I've got a bright green color for the main accent, and then have also used a teal color as another accent. 

I put my creative cap on and decided to take a chance & try to make the chairs pop & try to bring some more color into the kitchen. I've seen pictures all over the place on Pinterest where people have used a bold color on a piece of furniture, so thought I'd give it a whirl!  Here is a picture of my inspiration:
I searched high & low & finally found a spray paint color at Home Depot that I thought might work.  It's made by Rustoleum.  I made sure to wash down the chairs before starting.  I did not sand them down, so we'll see how they hold up over time :D
 Before

 I used 2 coats of spray paint to cover the chairs & used about 1 1/2 cans of the paint.  One thing to note - cover the stuff around you!  Thankfully I had enough sense to cover my husbands motorcylce before I started!  When I was done & moved my drop cloth, there were traces of spray paint on the garage floor :)  Oops :)
 After! 





Overall I'm pretty happy with how they turned out!  They are a bit bright, so I will just need to add something with the same color on the other half of the kitchen.  They are a bit brighter than the other teal accents that I've got.  But, it works and definitely accomplished my goal!


It's Metamorphosis Monday - here's the linky!  http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/p/tablescape-thursday.html

I'm linking to the following parties:

2 comments:

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

I love this color. Great work!

Colejo32 said...

Thanks! It is pretty fun!